Saturday, May 30, 2009
Friday, May 29, 2009
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Our theme for yesterday's preschool was "SH" day. The kids learned all about the "sh" sound, and did activities that revolved around it. Once again, for my "3 Sisters," here are the details:
- Bible verse: John 10:27 “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.”
- Play “follow the shepherd” (like "follow the leader")
- Glue cotton balls and googly eyes onto a sheep
- Shaving cream activity
- Shoe relay race
- Shackle relay race
- Shapes worksheets (from the internet... tracing and naming shapes)
- Trace S and H
- “Shine” (Newsboys) hot potato
- "What am I?" I described several objects that began with "sh" and the kids had to guess what I was describing.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Monday, May 25, 2009
I hope you had a wonderful Memorial Weekend! Lucky for us, Daniel has tomorrow off of work, so we will be heading to Disneyland one last time before summer starts. If you're back to your work week tomorrow and looking for something fun to do with the kiddos, here is an easy "Monday Craft," (even though it is technically Tuesday!). Just take the comic section from your Sunday paper, (we borrowed our neighbor's since we don't get the paper), and paint on a little of this potion: equal parts vanilla and liquid dish detergent. Next, set a piece of paper on top of the comics. Then use your finger, (we used a Pampered Chef scraper), and rub until the picture begins to show thorough, and voila! A color copy of the comic!
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Friday, May 22, 2009
Vietnamese Grilled Pork Meatballs
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup shallots, minced
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
1 pound ground pork
Canola oil for brushing
8 (9-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
1. Whisk together the cornstarch, sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in the shallots, garlic, and mint. Add the pork and combine very gently by hand.
2. Form the mixture into 48 meatballs, each about an inch in diameter. Thread 6 meatballs onto each skewer. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm them slightly.
3. Prepare an electric grill or heat a grill pan to medium-high (the meatballs could fall through the grates of an outdoor grill). Lightly brush the meatballs with oil and grill them 6 to 8 minutes, turning often, until they're browned on all sides and just cooked through. Serve with Nuoc Cham sauce. Serves 4.
Nuoc Cham Sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 cup hot tap water
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
1. Mash the garlic, sugar, and red pepper flakes into a grainy paste on a small plate with the back of a fork. Scrape the paste into a small, heat-proof serving bowl. Pour the hot water over the mixture to dissolve the sugar. Let it cool slightly, then stir in the lime juice and fish sauce. Makes 2/3 cup.
Thursday, May 21, 2009
The next day we opted for our own sprinklers. I think Triscuit was happiest about that!
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Monday, May 18, 2009
Fast forward a few days... I was reading "Ladie's Home Journal" in the doctor's office, when an article caught my eye. Something about "keeping the Sabbath..." (Is Ladie's Home Journal a Christan magazine?) Anyway, I read the whole thing, and immediately knew what I needed to do.
Coincidence that I read 2 articles in one week about the 4th(?) commandment? I think not. I KNOW not! Why is it that we at least try to keep the other commandments, yet we don't even think about this one?
I'm sure it won't happen all at once... I'm starting slow... But, for now I have decided to fast my computer on Sundays. Doesn't sound too bad, huh? But, let me tell you... it was tough! But, it was also awesome! It's definitely the right first step. I will keep you updated as to how it's going. For now, I have more blogging to do!
Friday, May 15, 2009
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
All that to say, she has a good grasp of why we do the charts and they have been effective for her... So, tonight at dinner, Natalie was talking quite a bit. Out of the blue, Allison says, "Maybe you should make a talking chart for Natalie and tell her she can get stickers if she would stop talking." Too funny!
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Unfortunately, our sweet Triscuit pup decided to eat one of the twist ties that came with it. He spent the whole morning throwing-up, and $340 later the wire was discovered floating down his intestine. Our "free" dog has cost us quite a bit! So much for spending under $10 at Ikea! Anyway, have I ever given you a tour of our laundry room? It is my favorite room because 1) it is orange, and 2) it is dog-themed! Here is a quick tour: