Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring, Sandwiches, and Surprises

Today a dear friend from MOPS invited some of us homeschoolers over for a fun Spring Celebration at her house. Of course, in my excitement I neglected to bring my camera. We heard Jesus' parable of the sower and the seed, painted some pots and planted flowers in them, colored spring pictures, used spring stickers to turn a wintry scrapbook paper into spring, and enjoyed a fun lunch. Did I mention I forgot my camera? ** sigh**

So, I decided to take pictures of our dinner instead. I was quite proud, as this was a total experiment and the big girls LOVED it! Here goes...

First, I baked some baguettes. (I found a simple recipe online.) The girls waited anxiously, checking the oven often. What is it about the smell of fresh-baked bread?

While the bread was baking, I stir-fried some zucchini with olive oil, dill, and garlic salt. I also mixed some lemon juice, mayo, and garlic for the spread.

Once the bread was done, I sliced it in half for open-faced sandwiches. I spread the mayo mixture, topped with the zucchini and grated cheddar, (and turkey for the girls), and broiled them for 3 minutes to melt the cheese.

What a fun dinner! It was pretty simple, and the girls said they loved it. Can't beat that!

Littlest turkey threw everything on the ground except the bread. She is a carboholic, and it's my fault. I'll need to do something about that!

And, for the "surprises" part of this post, I went to Old Navy yesterday with just Sierra, and scored a bunch of adorable girls clothes on clearance... plus I had a 30% off coupon and a $50 gift card. In all, I bought each girl 5 items, plus 6 items for myself, and spent $25. This morning, I surprised the girls with their clothes as a "happy spring" gift. They were ecstatic; my girls love clothes!

Happy Spring to you!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails