Sunday, August 7, 2011

Debunking a Myth and a Recipe


We had a special friend over for breakfast the other day, and I decided to make some blueberry scones as part of it. To be honest, I was quite nervous since I've never made scones before. For some reason, I thought scones were:
  • hard to make; (they were super simple!)
  • very bad for you; (at least the recipe I found hardly used any butter)
So, I think I have another recipe to add to my breakfast collection! Here is the one I found: (I even used my toaster oven, so I didn't have to heat the whole kitchen!)

Blueberry scones

Ingredients

* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 6 tablespoons sugar
* 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold butter
* 2 eggs
* 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, divided
* 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Directions

* In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a bowl, whisk eggs and 3/4 cup milk; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead in the blueberries.
* Divide the dough in half. Pat each portion into an 8-in. circle; cut each into eight wedges. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with remaining milk. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 16 scones.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails