The good part about all this? Trials, of course, seem necessary sometimes to drive us to our knees. And, I mean that literally... I pray on my knees! But, I decided I wanted "more power" to my prayers. So, I decided I would fast every Monday for my girls.
I really don't know much about fasting, but I want to learn! It's been 6 or 7 weeks now, and I can honestly say I don't like it at all! (I love my food!) But, I believe it's necessary. So far, here's what I've found:
- Self-discipline doesn't come easy, and this is helping in that area!
- Allison is indeed sleeping just fine, again! (But, I'm still praying about it!)
- Scripture seems to come to mind more easily on days I fast.
- Ironically, fasting helps take my mind off myself. (Though, I am still looking at the clock and counting down until I can eat dinner!)
- I recently felt the need to write down some specific things I wanted to see come out of this. Most importantly, I wanted Allison to want to pray. She has wanted nothing to do with praying for several months, now. This is so awesome: This one was answered, immediately! She went from not even wanting to repeat a prayer, to wanting to pray on her own! Wow! I was blown away...
So, I will continue my Monday Fast, despite my lack of knowledge and understanding. I feel God calling me to do it, so I will obey. And, I really am excited to learn more about fasting through personal experience. It is a crazy time to raise kids, but I know God put my family and me in this time and place for a reason and I am excited about watching His plan for our lives unfold. His grace is sufficient!