Saturday, July 24, 2010

Healthy Dinners

When Daniel is not home for dinner, (which is about half the month because of his job), it is SO tempting to skip our family dinner. However, I have heard over and over the importance of family dinners, most recently while reading, "Bringing Up Girls." So, one of my main priorities as a mom is to make healthy dinners, even when Daniel is not home, and to sit down together as a family. For us, that means the table is set nicely, the tv is off, and there is a variety of food groups and colors offered on their plates.

Of course, it is not easy... and I sometimes (eh-hem, often) fail! But, I do have two minor tips that may help you if you struggle with this like me.

This "tip" sort of came to me by accident. Last time we were going to make Greek chicken, I mixed up the spices only to discover that my husband had already done it. So, instead of throwing them away, I actually put them in a baggie labeled, "Greek Chicken," and the recipe book and page number for future reference. Today all I had to do was throw the chicken and potatoes in a dish with the seasonings already prepared and add olive oil and lemon juice and bake.

We also made a Greek Salad to go with it since we have so many tomatoes and basil in our yard!

Another healthy simple dinner is a veggie bisque, which is a favorite with the girls. First, I sautee some garlic and onion in olive oil. Next, I add as many veggies as I have available... usually frozen corn, peas, and squash, plus as many fresh ones as we can fine. This time it was some green beans, a carrot, and some spinach. In the past I've used asparagus, beets, broccoli, zucchini... you name it! That's what I love about this "recipe:" you can't go wrong!

Once the veggies are sauteed a bit, I add 2 cans of chicken broth, (which we always have on hand because we buy it by the case from Costco), 1/2 tsp. rosemary, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp. salt. Next, you mix it all in a blender, then pour it back in the pot and add about 1/2 cup milk and let it simmer a little longer. Then, you can add whatever deli meat you hav, or just eat it plain. I usually add chopped up turkey or ham. That's it!

Seriously, it is a favorite! Just look at their faces! (Of course, we always do bread with soup, which is a big hit as well!)

Even Sierra loved it!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails