Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sharing...

For her birthday, Allison got a cute little art stamp set from our dear neighbor and friend, C. There is a special book that goes with it, so that Allison could copy pictures directly from the book.

Naturally, since it looked like so much fun, Natalie wanted to use it, as well. Of course, Allison didn't want to share it because it was so special...

Luckily, I had paintbrushes that "matched" the kind Allison was using, as well as old sponges that resembled the sponge stamps Allison was using. Natalie was content. (Phew!) But, here's my question...

Do you force your kids to share their new special toys with their siblings? I decided it was ok for Allison not to share in this case, and luckily Natalie was happy with our compromise. But, I wonder... is it ok to not share sometimes? What do you think?

5 comments:

Karen Hyde said...

I think it is ok to not share sometimes. When my boys get something new or special I don't make them share right away. But they can't flaunt it or rub it in. I figure everyone deserves something that should be special just for them, at least for a while.

Jennifer said...

Seth just received a bunch of new stuff for his birthday that he did not want to share with his sisters. I understood that it was all new and therefore special to him and was not going to make him share, but I did ask him how he would feel if they received some new toys and wouldn't share them with him. I was glad to see that it didn't take long for him to decide to share and that in the long run it is more fun.

On the other hand, Kya recieved a really nice scrapbook set for her birthday that I knew the other two might mess up. So I put it away and told her that she and I would work on it together when we had our special one on one time together. So, she even though she didn't have to share, she also was not allowed to use it either. She was okay with that, because she LOVES our quality time together.

Livin’ The Yeh Life’s said...

You gals are awesome -- thanks!

Crystal said...

i've been reading a really helpful book called "just tell me what to say." there's a whole chapter on siblings and it addresses the issue of sharing. the author says that it's perfectly okay not to force your kids to share.

Livin’ The Yeh Life’s said...

Sounds like a good book, Crystal... thanks! I'm always looking for more books!

How's Iowa? Lincoln is such a cutie!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails