Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sleepless in Sierra's Room

Dear Sierra,
Could you please explain to me what is so bad about going to sleep? I only make you take one nap a day. You can't deny that you are tired... I have evidence; (see exhibit A: falling asleep while eating lunch at 11:30am!)


I have you in a wonderful routine. You nap at approximately the same time every day -- and you always scream, protest, and throw your stuffy-wuffs out of your crib. I am lucky if you sleep more than an hour.

Night time is simply wonderful. We read stories, and then I turn off the big light, give you snoop dog and your milk, and we cuddle on the white chair while I sing you songs. You put your head down and close your eyes -- sometimes you even fall asleep! You like to tease me and give me your milk, only to take it right back. Or, if you are feeling especially silly, you like to make my nose honk, or see what happens if you push my forehead back against the chair. To be honest, it is my most special time of day with you, and you make it very hard to want to put you in your crib.

Inevitably, I think of the messy kitchen and school-planning that needs to take place, and I have to say goodnight. I usually wait until you can't stop rubbing your eyes. We go over and kiss the froggy light goodnight, and then I put you in your crib.

You don't cry too long, now; maybe a minute or two after I leave. But, you still have to cry -- you have to protest. You cannot lay down contentedly and sleep. It makes me sad. I wish you could... when you get a little older, your big sisters will have to teach you Psalm 4:8. "I will lie down and sleep in peace. For you alone, oh Lord, make me dwell in safety."

Shortly after the crying, you babble. I could stand by your door and listen to you for hours. Such sweet sounds! And then, alas, you fall asleep. Most of the time you sleep well. If you wake-up, (usually 1 - 3 times a week), I just let you cry. But, if it is too close to wake-up time, I bring you to bed with me and we cuddle some more until you fall asleep.

I am so thankful for your cuddles!! And, I pray that you learn to appreciate your sleep!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails