Friday, November 18, 2011

Pink Patience Day

Ever since finding out we were going to have a boy, I've had this idea in my head... I wanted to surprise the girls with a "girly-themed" day just to celebrate sisterhood! I wanted it to be one of the last school days before Yehbie arrived, and a day when Daniel was gone so that it would be all things girl-related. I decided to go with a "Pink Patience Day."
I decorated the table, and bought the girls a few fun pink surprises the night before. I was excited to see their reaction the next morning when walking into what they thought was another ordinary school day.
The most important element I wanted to give them was a love letter to each girl. I want each of them to know how special they are, and how much I enjoy having girls. I also explained to them that I will be busy nursing a lot when Yehbie comes, and they will need a lot of "pink patience." I also asked them for grace when I am fussy, tired, and impatient, and we did our morning Bible study on what that means.
The letters were definitely a huge hit. I would do today all over again, just to give them the letters. But, sometimes things don't always go as planned... Rather than a "Wow," when seeing the decorated kitchen, I got more of a "Why does it look like Valentine's Day in here?" This was followed immediately by tears, and a rendition of "Why are Allison's socks more beautiful than mine?"
The pink muffins were snuffed because the raspberries made them "too sour."
Gotta love 2-year-olds; "A muffin on my plate is not good enough! I must have a different one, lick it, and leave it! Then I must whine and throw a tantrum because all I want is the pretty pink candy on the table!" (Guess I asked for that one myself!)
Our manicure/ pedicure session was fairly successful. The girls were actually pretty excited, since I don't normally alllow them nail polish. However, our pink smoothie "snack" which followed was also a disappointment, as the 2 big girls have decided they don't like smoothies. (And, this was a really yummy one!) At least Sierra still appreciates my smoothies.
We did a few pink school activities, including a pink scavenger hunt.
Then came lunch... turkey/ cheese croissants. Apparently, they were "too pink," the apples were "too sour," and the lmonade was "too bubbly." At this point, I reached my peak of complaints. I honestly questioned whether I wanted to do anything like this, again. I made an analogy that they could understand, asking them how they would feel if they worked really hard drawing a picture for someone, and then the person didn't respond well...

... Natalie got it! She worte me this note, and I decided I would definitely do this again!
And, just so you don't think we're too girly over here, the girls enjoyed a nice wrestling session after lunch!
Overall, it was a really good day! I share the complaints and some of the negatives just so you don't look at the pictures and think things are "perfect" around here. Tonight actually ended really well. At dinner we discussed our highlights and low-lights of the day, and then I explained my 3 reasons for doing pink day once again. They really got it. And, they thanked me sincerely; my heart is full! The beauty of the discussion was I even heard some things that surprised me, like how excited they were to see the table in the morning. As I mentioned earlier, they sure didn't show it at the time!

One last thing:


Hobby Lobby recently opened up here in Rancho Cucamonga. I have never been to a Hobby Lobby, and have always wanted to go. I told the girls we would go and look for a "pink patience craft." I ended up letting each of the girls pick out 4 colors of embroidery floss to try friendship bracelets again. I reminded them each time they needed my help and I was helping the other person that this is how it is going to be when Yehbie arrives. Once again, they totally got it and smiled patiently.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails