Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread Cans

Hooray! I love when experiments work! Today I tried baking chocolate chip pumpkin bread in cans to bring to my MOPS steering meeting, tonight. I had seen banana bread in cans a long time ago, but I don't know where so I couldn't get any directions! I'll tell you what I did at the bottom!

To make them "cute" I first cut a brown shopping bag with my jagged-edge scissors.

I then stamped them with some fall leaves.

I took the free cupcake topper cut-outs from Gwenny Penny and punched holes in them.

On the back, I wrote "chocolate chip pumpkin bread."

Here's where my girls came in... (literally! They were at Costco with their dad before this :) ) I let them color all the fall leaves.

I used a piece of twine to tie the tag on. I used my Pampered Chef can opener to open the lids, so I was able to put the lids back on once the bread cooled completely.

Ok, so here's how I made the bread. First, I took my cans that were washed and dried completely, and buttered them well with my basting brush. I filled each can about half, (maybe a little more), full with my batter. I sprinkled a few extra chocolate chips on the top of each one. I doubled the following recipe, which filled exactly 7 cans. I've already modified the directions for you. I think I will do this again, (once we collect more cans) with our chocolate chip zucchini muffin recipe. We still have about 6 zucchini growing in the backyard!

Pumpkin muffins
Ingredients

* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 2 eggs
* 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease cans.
2. Mix sugar, oil, eggs. Add pumpkin and water. In separate bowl mix together the baking flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt.. Add wet mixture and stir in chocolate chips.
3. Fill muffin cans 1/2 full with batter. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.


7 comments:

Karen Hyde said...

What a great idea... and yummy. You are so creative - and thoughtful!

Renee said...

So cool! Not just the treat, or that you're sharing the treat, but your girls get to participate! But it is a cool idea. And a really lovely presentation. I don't know about the Pampered Chef can opener so, how do the can lids STAY on?

Jenn Erickson said...

I found you through the One Pretty Thing crafty food roundup where my recipe was also featured. WOW! What a wonderful project! I love the way you upcycled the can and the grocery bag! It makes it extra special that your girls were involved in the process.

Livin’ The Yeh Life’s said...

Hi, Renee! Thanks for the comments :) The Pampered Chef opener cuts form the side, so it is not sharp and you can put the lids right back on. I love mine!

Holly Lefevre said...

Too fabulous! I bake in jars...but love this can idea and of course chocolate chip pumpkin bread!

Maggie said...

I also found you from one pretty thing... This is amazing! I've never seen bread baked in a can--this is adorable. I would be interested to try it with other breads! Perfect gift idea. :)

Livin’ The Yeh Life’s said...

Thanks, Jenn, Holly, and Maggie! Yes, the possibilities are endless... I will be experimenting with this one some more. My poor kids will be eating canned food for a while :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails