Sunday, June 5, 2011

Allison's Strawberry Shortcake Birthday Party

I absolutely LOVE the theme Allison chose for her 6th birthday... Strawberry Shortcake! So many possibilities, and perfect for the beginning of June. (Not-to-mention MY 6th birthday was a Strawberry Shortcake one!)

The day before, the girls enjoyed a beautiful day outside squeezing lemons for the strawberry lemonade. (above) And, the night before I roped Daniel in to helping me make chocolate-covered strawberries. (below)

One thing I didn't have to worry about was making the cake. I asked my uber-talented friend Tricia to make it for her, and just look what she came up with...

Ok, you can close your mouth now! Seriously: we were all blown-away! I heard Natalie exclaim at Sunday School that night, "My sister had a birthday party today with the most BEAUTIFUL cake ever!"

For our activities, we made strawberry thumb-print pictures, colored in coloring books I found at the Dollar Tree, and wove ribbon baskets. Once each girl was finished with her basket, she was given a pair of strawberry sunglasses and sent outside to find 3 (paper) strawberries. Upon returning, she was rewarded with a chocolate-covered strawberry. Only Natalie as disappointed in the prize! (Poor girl... who doesn't like chocolate strawberries?)



For our last activity, we headed outside to plant our own strawberries. I bought strawberry grow kits from the Dollar section at Target, but made them "cute" with the help of the girls by putting them in old cans. This turned out to be super fun. I can't wait to see the strawberries grow!


Poor Sierra was exhausted!


I used recycled Thai tea bottles for our drink holders. I stuck a strawberry cookie in each one as a "straw." (I love the look of all the cute paper straws, but not the price tag!) We also made some strawberry sugar cookies; my favorite! And a toasted almond strawberry avocado salad. Brianna's poppy seed dressing is a must!

My mom brought all of my old Strawberry Shortcake dolls from when I was a kid to use to decorate. It was so fun to see them again! Too bad they don't smell, anymore.


Lunch: pizza, of course!


So many cute presents... and the new Strawberry Shortcake dolls smell just like I remember, even though she looks totally different.

It was very sweet how she told Natalie her present was most special because it was from her sister. Natalie felt so special, and I was overjoyed! Happy sixth birthday, beautiful Allison! I can't wait to celebrate with you on your actual birthday, Tuesday, at the beach!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails