Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Book Recommendations


Hey, you eighties kids out there… remember the “Facts of Life?” Who was your favorite character? Mine was Joe… she was so cool! Now, however, I am a huge fan of “Blair,” or Lisa Welchel. I remember learning that she was a Christian back when she took a stand against being on an episode that promoted pre-marital sex. So, I wasn’t surprised to see a book of hers in a Christian setting regarding raising kids. At first I was skeptical about her as an author. Was she a good author, or did her fame allow her to publish a book? My conclusion? She is an awesome author!
Her book, Creative Correction, is full of tips, stories, and scriptures helping parents raise kids. Though it’s enjoyable to read, it is also a valuable resource to refer back to… especially regarding scriptures!
One idea that we tried that worked well for us was a reward system. Allison had been potty trained for several months, but had been in pull-ups at night, and showed no signs of waking up dry! So, we went to Chuck E. Cheese’s, bought a cup and several tokens, (By the way, always use a coupon for Chuck E. Cheese tokens, because they’re everywhere and save you a bundle!), and told Allison she could put a token in her cup every morning she woke up with dry underwear. She has had only 1 accident in 2 months! She recently enjoyed her special trip to Chuck E. Cheese with Daniel, and they had a blast!
The other book of hers that I love is called Busy Mom’s Guide to Bible Study. You’re suppose to read it over a 3 month period… (It took me 4 months), but it is so worth it! It is just full of tools to help you study the Bible more efficiently, and in a limited amount of time since that’s all we as moms have! So, there you have it, Mommies… Check out “Blair’s” books, and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

our delightful life said...

I needed this idea for potty training. Eli is in big boy undies now but still in pull-ups during naptime & nighttime. I used a reward sticker chart to help potty train him but we still haven't mastered overnight. The book sounds great. I'll have to check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails